Friday 29 July 2011

Muesli Squares

The best thing with these is that they can be gluten free. I didn't have those ingredients and I don't need those ingredients but I will have that option as well.
These are healthy option of a muesli bar but as needed in the recipe, I had no oats or muesli so instead I made them with weetbix which are super healthy for you and Low GI as they are made of wholegrains.

Original Recipe- Gluten Free
350 g gluten free untoasted muesli
200 g dates, chopped
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 cup golden syrup, heated
3/4 cup gluten free plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten



My Recipe -see picture.


350 g weetbix -crumbled
200 g dates- chopped
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 cup of golden syrup, heated (instead I used a quarter of a cup of golden syrup and the rest is honey as I ran out of golden syrup...I suggest this so it is not too sweet or go for all honey, it is healthier for you)
3/4 cup of plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten



Method: (for both) 
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. 
2. Add eggs and golden syrup/honey, mix thoroughly until all ingredients are combined and sticky. 
3. Press into a lasagna size tray, approximately 2cm thick. 
4. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C) for approximately 30 minutes or until golden.

Tips
When mixing, mix with clean hands, and squeeze it together so it forms kind of like a dough- not too crumbly.
Use baking paper and canola spray as it will be hard to get it off out of the tray.
I would make it thicker next time- so not too large of a tray
Press down using rolling pin so it is even and compressed. Press the edges of tray down with a spoon. If rolling pin is too big and if possible take handles off.
Put more dates in I'd say 250g, as I would do it next time.
Instead of cutting dates with a knife which takes longer, cut with scissors.
Caution: may be hard so don't bite into them especially after a day.



Good things:
suitable to freeze
store in an airtight container



Next time I will try with oats, but honestly I really liked them. I hope you do too. Not hard to make and quick.


Practice Makes Perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment